Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Gluten Free Yellow Cake


Before we got rid of cable several months ago, my 7 year old daughter loved to watch the show 'Cupcake Wars' on the Food Network. She wanted to make cupcakes soooo badly! We had just started down the gluten free path, so I figured it was as good a time as any to introduce a gluten free dessert to my family. I had really talked up going gluten free with my kids - namely my 7 year old, since the other three are 3 and under - and since I was really excited about going gluten free, she was too. I found this simple recipe and she begged to try it out. It was a big hit!

1 1/2 cups White Rice Flour*
3/4 cup Tapioca Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
4 Eggs
1 1/4 cups Sugar
2/3 cup Mayonnaise
1 cup Milk
2 teaspoons Vanilla*

~Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and Rice Flour two 8 or 9 inch cake pans or line your cupcake pan with the paper cupcake holders
~Mix together the first 6 ingredients and set aside
~Mix Eggs, Sugar & Mayo till fluffy - about 11 minutes. I used my Stand Mixer for this which was so nice! Make sure you have it on high enough. I didn't have it on high enough the first time and it didn't really get fluffy. I turned it on really high and within a minute or so, it had doubled and was fluffy! 
~Add flour mixture , Milk & Vanilla. Mix well. 
~Bake for 25 minutes in cake pans or 13-15 minutes for cupcakes. 

*I used Brown Rice Flour without any issues. 
*If you're very sensitive to gluten, you'll want to make sure your vanilla is gluten free. Most vanilla isn't gluten free. 

Source: allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment